Fry Fish and Baked Fish recipe: Use Haddock, Halibut or Tilapia – a mild fish, will work with salmon too.
- We use the flash frozen Haddock from Costco (best price) brands Olivia or Canadian Royal Harbour is excellent. Even Captain hi-liner frozen was good when we tried it
- Thaw fish in the plastic in cold water (not warm, not hot) – this is how we did the shrimp in the restaurant.
- Once thawed – preheat oven to 365°F
- Open & pat dry really well with paper towel
- Pre-heat OVEN SAFE skillet/frying pan to medium high, add 1 to 2 Tbsp butter or grapeseed oil (safflower oil)
- Put some of the coating in a shallow bowl
- Press the fish firmly into the coating & flip, repeat, do the sides as well.
- Place in frying pan. Sear fish 2 min or so till crispy on the 1 side, flip, repeat
- Put whole oven-safe frying pan in the oven – bake for 5 – 7 min ~ JUST till fish goes white, not clear in centre) don’t overcook or it will get that fishy taste and smell.
special fish notes – if you’re good at keeping an eye on it, if you want to “finish” it in the frying pan instead of turning the oven on, sear til slightly crispy, turn the heat down to med-low and keep flipping it so the coating doesn’t get overcooked on either side.
Great with fish! Those non-fish eaters will be converted! See notes section for details…baked fish recipe…
Make your own…
For 6 – 8 or so chicken drumsticks, or approx 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs (can use organic corn flakes too)
- 2 teaspoons all purpose flour (or corn flour – NOT meal)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- pinch of chives
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In large re-sealable bag (ie ziploc), combine all ingredients and stir.(Prepare chicken following the same technique as described on the box of the original mix.)
- Moisten chicken with water, Shake moistened chicken 1 to 2 pieces at a time in shaker bag with coating mixture. discard any remaining mixture (can go in green bin) and bag.
- Bake at 400°F in ungreased or fil-lined 15×10×1 inch baking pan until cooked… approx 45 min for drumsticks; boneless approx 20 min
Alternate cooking – pressure cook naked chicken drumsticks in pressure cooker (in water not oil) for 15 minutes; drain & coat; bake on stoneware 400°F for 10 – 15 min or until done.
Can also be bbq’d -we put the pan on the grill (instead of chicken being directly on grill)
Cornflake crumbs – can either crush the cornflakes cereal, or purchase the crumbs from the store, (found by the breadcrumb isle).
In a pinch crushed crackers can be used-but omit the salt
Royal Harbour :