This is a very moist pound cake recipe. My mother, Edythe, has been making this for more than 30 years.
Since this is a real butter pound cake recipe – there’s an art to the order of ingredients & the mixing (ie: sifting the flour).
Mrs. McCallum’s name is mentioned on the original recipe card. This is the lady who used to deliver the eggs once per week back in the day (local farmer) – as more of a social outing,rather than a business, since she had the gift of the gab. My mom & Mrs McCallum used to discuss this professional pound cake recipe, they found out it can be easily halved to make a 1 lb loaf, or a 10″ bundt pan or 10″ tube pan (angel foodcake).
Butter Pound Cake Recipe
- 4 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch fresh nutmeg (important)
- 2 cups butter – room temp
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs – room temp (important)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon rum (my addition)
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- Sift all the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl
- Cream together the butter an sugar until sugar is dissolved, and it’s light and fluffy
- Gradually add eggs, one at a time to the sugar mixture, after the last egg, add the vanilla and rum
- Alternate adding the milk & flour – until just mixed (do not over-mix)
- Pour into 1 large loaf pan (or two 1lb each-cooks in less time); or two 10″ tube/bundt pans
- Place in 300°F oven for approx 1 hr 50min – until cake pulls away from side of pan, and when pressed it vanishes slowly (springs back).
- Cool on wire rack 10 min
The smaller loaves will cook quicker at approx 55 minutes
Freezes well when pre-sliced
This is the best pound cake recipe I have ever tasted.