Chicken / Turkey Tetrizini Recipe: Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Dairy Free
For 2 people:
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil (or butter, or Becel margarine)
- 1 Tablespoon corn flour (or oat flour or spelt flour)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or unsweetened: soy milk, rice milk or reg milk)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ t onion powder
- Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 regular mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- ⅛ – ¼ cup shredded sheep or goat feta cheese or goat mozzerella (or parmesan cheese and / or ½ cup marble cheese)
- pepper (approx ⅛ teaspoon)
- 1 cup seasoned cooked chicken (or turkey) warmed up, and cut in small chunks (can use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken as well, instructions below)
For 4-5 people
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoon grapeseed oil (or butter, or Becel margarine)
- 2 Tablespoon corn flour(or oat or spelt flour)
- 2 cup milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ t onion powder
- Worcestershire sauce
- 3-4 regular mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- ¼ cup shredded sheep or goat feta cheese or goat mozzerella (or parmesan cheese and / or 1 cup marble cheese)
- pepper (approx ¼ teaspoon)
- 2 cups seasoned cooked chicken (or turkey) warmed up, and cut in small chunks
- Cook corn noodles (or spelt, rye or kamut noodles) to specification on package (fresh or packaged gnocci -potato-pasta is quicker – only boils about 2-3 min). Really, the only way to test if the noodles are done is to taste a little piece of one. The other methods I have found for testing, have been inconsistent. Drain. Put back in pot it was cooked in, set aside away from heat, put the lid on)
- While you’re initially waiting for the spaghetti…
- Put oil/butter in sauce pan on medium heat, add garlic, let sauté till it starts to smell real nice, about 5 min, add flour, to make paste in pan, then, quickly add milk & stir. Add salt (it makes it thicken), onion powder, mushrooms, couple drops worchestershire sauce (not too much, you want to keep the sauce a light colour) Moderately stir, keep the heat where it is, till it starts to thicken.
- Add sauce to noodles, add chicken & cheeses. Sprinkle with a little pepper, Stir.
- Sprinkle with parsley (so we don’t wilt our neighbours)
Serve with fresh steamed broccoli fleurettes, caesar salad and garlic bread… Dinner is served!
Quick Substitutions & Additional Notes
- Corn flour can be found in a regular bulk food store or health food store, or in the baking isle of a higher end grocery store
- If you don’t have any cooked chicken (white or dark) on hand (or in the freezer) you can use fresh chicken breast, cut in 1” or so cubes, and put in a fry pan with about 1” water, and some seasoning salt. Put the lid on, and it should be done at about the same time the pasta is (8 min or so, till it’s not pink anymore) drain. About 1 big breast for 2 people, and 2 big breasts (won’t our husband like this!) for 4-5 people.
- In a pinch, you can substitute fresh garlic for dried minced garlic. (1 teaspoon dried minced for the 2 person recipe, and 2 teaspoons dried minced garlic for 4-5 person recipe)
- If you don’t have marble cheese, or mushrooms, just go without that time, after all, the family must eat something tonight for dinner!
- If you hate slicing (like me) you can use a hard boiled egg slicer for slicing mushrooms (or strawberries! On another recipe or for garnish)
Reheats nicely for the next day.