If you’re saying to yourself “I need a good meatloaf recipe“, you’re in the right place!
If you like Boston Market Meatloaf or Cracker Barrel, here is a tasty basic meatloaf recipe with bread crumbs.
How long do I cook a two pound meatloaf? This recipe is 55-60 min @ 400°F taking out half way to drain fat (if needed) and slice-in-pan -add sauce & return to oven.
- 1 cup tomato sauce (can use pasta or pizza sauce in a pinch)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet barbecue sauce (such as Dianna chicken & rib or Kraft original)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef / hamburger (preferably sirloin-better flavour, or ground chuck/blade)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour (or spelt flour)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (optional; or quick oats for wheat intolerant etc)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic (or garlic powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon teriyaki sauce (optional)
- 1/2 cup finely minced onion (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine tomato sauce BBQ sauce and sugar in a small sauce pan and stir over med heat until it begins to bubble – then remove from heat.
- Set aside 2 Tablespoons of the above mixture in a separate small bowl, add the rest of the sauce to the meat in a large bowl & massage the sauce into the meat using a large spatula,wooden spoon, or your hands.
- Add the remaining ingredients: flour, bread crumbs, salt, onion powder, granulated garlic, pepper and teryaki to the ground sirloin mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer the meat into the loaf pan or, preferably meatloaf pan (drains off the fat). Wrap foil over the pan and place into the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the meatloaf, take off the foil drain the fat (if not using a meatloaf pan) and keeping it in the pan, slice meatloaf all the way through into approx 1″ slices (about 8 slices). Pour the remaining 2 Tablespoons of Sauce over the top down the center of the loaf pan. Slicing it helps it to cook faster – thus less time in the oven and faster to the table!
- Place meatloaf uncovered, back in the oven for 25-30minutes or until done.
This is my spouse’s favorite meatloaf recipe.
What is the cooking time for meatloaf? 55 min – 1hr @ 400°F – pulling out 1/2 way through to add extra sauce & slice.
How to make meatloaf with ketchup? Just substitute the Sweet BBQ Sauce with ketchup.
Prefer your meatloaf recipe with oatmeal? Just swap the breadcrumbs for quick cook oatmeal.
Best Hamburger Recipe for Meatloaf … mmm…
Great served with a side of baked sweet potatoes – just wash & *lightly* spray with cooking spray, then let cook along side of the meatloaf in a separate pan or stoneware (as pictured).