This Chocolate with Peanut Butter Squares Recipe is another family favourite… devoured at family functions… 3 batches last Sunday alone!
Super easy to make, no fussing, just throw a few ingredients in a pot, stir and then mix. Kids and hubbies like to help make this one.
Chocolate and Peanut Butter Bars Recipe:
For 8×8 pan: (we double it for a 9×13 pan)
1 cup brown sugar (or organic cane sugar ie Camino)
1/2 cup corn syrup (organic corn syrup is now avail via Wholesome Sweeteners)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla (or more)
1/2 teaspoon clubhouse rum (or more) (optional)
2 cups Crisp Rice Cereal (or Rice Krispies)
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (Wal-mart Great Value brand is dairy-free) (if everyone can have milk, milk chocolate chips taste yummy as well)
Have a big heat resistant bowl ready.
- Pour rice krispies into the big bowl. (you will need this ready, when needed)
- In a sauce pot, dissolve the sugar, syrup and peanut butter on the stove, slowly on med heat, until dissolved (until sugar crystals are not crunchy anymore) – Keep stirring by a qualified stir-er!!! or it will caramelize on the bottom and burn, do not leave pot unattended. Then add vanilla and rum. Stir.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour the hot mixture over the rice krispies in the big heat resistant bowl. Quickly “fold” (stir gently in an upward motion) the entire mixture.
- Pat into a greased 8×8 broil-safe pan.
- Pour chocolate chips evenly over surface.
- Broil just until chocolate chips are glossy. Remove from oven immediately. (this means the chocolate is soft enough to spread)
- With a table knife gently smooth out chocolate like icing a cake, be careful of the hot sides of the pan.
- Cut into small cubes.