Hands down – gorgeous appetizer so incredibly simple – but looks like you’ve slaved all day.
This is our default recipe for all parties that require appetizers, especially bridal and baby showers.
Super Easy Version:
Cool Veggie Appi Recipe / hors d’oeuvres
- On cookie sheet, spray with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper, and roll out the refrigerated crescent dough to make one big flat base. Bake as directed on package. Remove from oven, cool.
- Mix together:1 pkg spreadable (whipped) Cream Cheese, 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning and 1 clove minced garlic – mix cream cheese with 1 Tablespoon of mayo to help it mix easier)* (we prefer the dill option below)
- Spread over cooled base.
- Finely chop topping vegetables – enough to cover the whole surface with some of each on : cucumbers, broccoli (into bits), red pepper, carrots
- Sprinkle veggies on top of cream cheese in the same order. We chop the carrots, but shredding is also an option.
- Gently pat down the veggies into the cream cheese with the palms of your hands or by pressing a cutting board on to the surface (so the toppings don’t fall off on the floor when being eaten by guests).
- Use pizza cutter to cut into appetizer (two bite) size squares. approx 2 inches square ( approx the length of your thumb – but don’t cut your thumb! )
Voila! Makes about 12-15 squares
1/2 teaspoon dill weed (green fronds) instead of Italian seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon dry minced onion instead of garlic*
- yellow peppers instead of broccoli (as shown in picture)
More Advanced Version:
For those who like a less greasy base, and prefer to make their own – here’s two options
1) substitute Bread Machine Crescent Rolls Croissant Recipe for refrigerated crescent rolls (ie: Pillsbury)
2) substitute Bread Machine Garlic Bread Pizza Dough Recipe (omit the garlic and Italian seasoning in recipe & use regular cream cheese – not herbed) – recipe coming soon… stay tuned!
Most recently we used this at a 40th birthday cocktail party… with rave reviews!