This was one of my favourite dishes growing up. Definitely one of the
Chicken Pot Pie (or Turkey):
- 1/2 cup milk (or omit the milk and use a combination of milk powder & 1/2 cup chicken broth instead)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups hot concentrated chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups pre-cooked/stewed chicken cut in large dice
- 3/4 cup fresh cooked or frozen peas (or canned peas drained)
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup fresh frozen corn (ie Green Giant in the frozen section)
- 1 teaspoon salt (omit if using canned peas)
- 1/2 cup fresh frozen corn & diced fresh frozen carrots (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon marjoram (optional, or sage)
- Mix together and make a paste of the1st 3 ingredients (milk, flour, cornstarch)
- Then add it to 1 1/2 cups hot concentrated chicken broth
- Cook over direct heat until sauce boils & thickens – stirring constantly.
- Combine with chicken, vegetables and salt & herbs
- Pour into a 6 cup buttered casserole dish, preheat oven to 425°F
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon poultry seasoning (optional – if you like savory)
- Make pastry (combine all ingredients dry ingredients, then add butter by cutting in butter with pastry blender, food processor or two knives to resemble course oatmeal) add milk, mix gently till just mixed.
- Turn onto floured board & knead 8 x’s. Roll into circle (or shape of chicken pot pie dish) approx 1/4″ thick.
- Gently place on top of filling in chicken pot pie dish. Cover gently with foil
Bake at 425°F for approximately 20 min or until done.
Can use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken for this recipe, or leftover pre-cooked chicken or turkey.