The perfect Friday night or midweek meal. I’m still amazed at how easy and flavourful this taco casserole recipe is, with very little cleanup.
This hamburger casserole taco recipe is a new family favourite. Even my non-spicy dad liked it. If you like Taco Bell, this should be one to try out.
Seven Layer Taco Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (or sour cream)
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning (if none on hand chili powder will do in a pinch)
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips (or use the ends of a couple bags)
- 2 cups marbled cheddar cheese, shredded (or 1 cup each mild cheddar & mozzarella – whatever you have on hand)
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce (iceburg or romaine)
- 1/4 cup chopped chives or green onions (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F
In saucepan, brown the ground beef & drain (if not extra lean). Add salsa, mayonnaise and taco seasoning; mix well.
In ungreased 8×8 baking dish (or approx 2 qt dish) layer as follows:
- 1/2 meat mixture
- 1/2 chips quantity
- 1/2 cheese mixture
- remaining meat mixture
- remaining cheese
- (this will be done after the oven & just before serving – lettuce, tomatoes & green onion)
Bake uncovered at 350°F for 20 minutes or until heated through (sometimes less time, sometimes it’s more cooking time).
Just before serving, top with tomato and lettuce & green onions.
A nice side dish to serve would be Caesar salad and garlic bread, or a garden salad even though there’s fixings on top, we still enjoyed the garden salad with it, and a nice thick piece of fresh country grain bread.
The Seven Layer Taco Casserole Recipe can easily be halved to serve a smaller crowd. Use 1/2 the size of a baking dish as well so that it layers nicely – a loaf pan works well for this. It would serve 3 adults or 2 adults & 2 children who are light eaters.